A separate department under the Faculty of Medical Science of the University offers
Most of the students find placement in well-known hospitals in the city like Apollo Hospital, Billroth Hospital, Vijay Health Centre and Madras Medical Mission, to name a few. Tie-ups for practical training of the students have been arranged with St. Isabel’s Hospital, Gremaltes - Bone and Joint Hospital, Kanchi Kamakoti Child’s Trust Hospital for Children, Sundaram Medical Foundation and also the YMCA College of Physical Education for Sports Injuries.
Affiliated to the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University till 2003.
Since 2003 our Department has become a part of Dr. M.G.R University.
Courses offered from 1998 have been done in affiliation with Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University.
Offers UG and PG courses in the field of Physiotherapy.
We have our own Multi-Specialty hospital.
Have tie-ups with various Multi-Specialty hospitals.
Physical therapy as an educational component, including:
Unique role/responsibilities and relationship to curriculum involvement.
To promote awareness of assessment and service delivery patterns.
To promote a continuum of service delivery options,
To promote best practices and
To encourage professional development, peer support and mentoring.
‘Academic Excellence combined with Practical Knowledge.’
At the completion of the Bachelor's Degree course in Physiotherapy the student will be able to:
(a) Acquire adequate knowledge of the basic medical subjects in the practice of physiotherapy.
(b) Develop skills and techniques of therapeutic massage and exercise for the management of various medical and surgical conditions.
(c) Development of proper attitude of compassion and concern for the individuals and welfare of the physically-challenged in the community.
(d) Demonstrate skill in teaching, management, research, guidance
(e) Practice moral and ethical values.
At the completion of the Master's Degree course in Physiotherapy the student will be able to:
1. Acquire an in-depth knowledge of structure and function of
2. Acquire an in-depth knowledge of movement dysfunction of
4. Demonstrate skill in physical and functional diagnosis pertaining to
6. Demonstrate an expertise in evidence-based skill in the management of movement dysfunction.
7. Demonstrate an expertise in health promotion and quality restoration of functional movement pertaining to specialty.
8. Planning and implementation of treatment programme adequately and appropriately for all clinical conditions related to
9. Demonstrate proficiency in planning and executing physiotherapy services and teaching technology skills.
10. Demonstrate managerial and administrative skills.
11. Demonstrate the knowledge of legislation applicable to compensation for functional disability and appropriate certification.
BACHELOR OF PHYSIOTHERAPY
4 years course + 6 months Internship
HSC Examination (Academic Stream) of 10+2 curriculum / CBSE / ISC English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Botany and Zoology.
MASTER OF PHYSIOTHERAPY
1. M.P.T in Orthopedics
2. M.P.T in Neurology
3. M.P.T in Cardio-Respiratory Diseases
4. M.P.T in Pediatric Neurology
5. M.P.T in Sports Physiotherapy
6. M.P.T in Hand Rehabilitation
7. M.P.T in Obstetrics and Gynecology
8. M.P.T in Community Physiotherapy
The period of the certified study for the Master in Physiotherapy shall be a
The course will commence on the 1st of October every year.
(a) 50% of marks in theory in, 50% for oral examinations and 50% of
(b) A separate 50% of the marks in clinical examinations wherever applicable.
Besides the two central
The university has a Memorandum of Understanding with South Australia. There are guest lecturers from Keele University, U.K. The department has also set up research programmes in many relevant areas to improve the knowledge of students and staff.